Friday, November 13, 2009

Aren't I too Young??

"Go get a mammogram!" That was a post on my facebook. It was quite random. You see, that day, a few weeks ago, I posted something like, "So now what?" Not really sure why, just being random myself I guess. And that had been the response. I was thinking to myself, "Aren't I too young for that?"

It was that comment that got me to schedule that appointment with the doctor. I've come to believe, especially now, that nothing is by coincidence. God can put things together just perfectly and at the right time in order to teach, show, or help us through things in our lives.

As I said before, I had to wait a week for the results. Seriously, I prayed so hard that I wouldn't stress over that 5% chance that it could be cancerous. Whatever the outcome, I had to deal with it regardless. But boy, did I ever pray and seek God that whole week, hoping it was nothing serious. The appointment came unusually fast. When I arrived, however, it seemed like forever waiting for that surgeon to walk in the room with my results. I took Abbey, my two year old, with me that day, hopefully to lighten the mood. The surgeon came in and gave me my results. It was indeed a fibroid, a benign tumor. I almost wanted to cry with relief! I was leaping with joy leaving the office, so happy, and finally able to breathe.

Driving home, my thoughts went back to those women in the waiting room. There were so many, I'm really not exaggerating. I was thinking to myself, "What are the odds that one, maybe two of those ladies received different news?" Being optimistic, I wanted to believe everyone of them were fine. But sometimes, that's just not reality. The statistics lately are sobering. Many women, even men, are diagnosed with breast cancer every year. While it may be tragic and sad, it's also very encouraging. Technology and science have come a long way to treat women, as well as men. I can see why they stress early detection, because in doing so, can treat and cure so many more with this disease.

If I can do one thing with my story, and everything that has come my way these last few weeks, is to first, be able to share with others, especially women, who never thought they should get checked out at an early age. To my friend who posted that message, I am so grateful that you took the time and care to think of others. I'm certainly not one who shares personal stories with everyone. Most of the things I write, are not shared or shown to anyone. After this happened, I felt it's the least I could do to not only credit God and praise him for everything, but to also put into practice Galatians 6:2 "Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ." That is what we are supposed to do! Lean on each other, pray for one another, encourage, and to lift up!

You are NEVER to young to get a mammogram. In the end it could save your life. I urge everyone to keep this in mind. My story ended

No comments:

Post a Comment